Wild Rosella Cheesecake
Serves: a 23cm (9inch) cake
» 1 ¾ (330gm) cream cheese
» ¾ cup (170gm) castor sugar
» 2 egg yolks
» 2 ½ cups (600ml) thickened cream
» 3 teaspoons (25gm) powdered gelatine
» ½ jar (145gm) OS Wild Rosella Jam for cake
» 1 pack crushed sweet biscuits (eg, arrowroot, marie)
» Unsalted butter, melted to bind biscuits
Mirror Jelly top
» ¼ jar (75gm) OS Wild Rosella Jam for jelly
» 2 cups (500ml) water
» 3 teaspoons (20 gm) additional powdered gelatine
To make biscuit base
1. Mix the melted butter with the crushed biscuits. Press evenly into the base of a 23cm spingform tin. Refrigerate until firm
To make the cheesecake
1. In an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and castor sugar until light and runny in texture, with no lumps.
2. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing each one into the mix well.
3. In a large, clean bowl whip the cream until just thick and fold through the cheese mix. Now fold through the OS Wild Rosella Jam until completely mixed.
4. Dissolve the 15gm gelatine according to packet instructions. When completely dissolved whisk quickly and thoroughly through the cheesecake mix. Pour into the prepared springform cake tin, ensuring the surface is smooth and level.
5. Refrigerate for at least two hours before topping with the mirror jelly top.
To make the mirror jelly top
1. Bring the water and the jam together to the boil and then strain through a fine sieve to remove the solids. Let the syrup cool to room temperature before adding dissolved gelatine (according to packet instructions).
2. Once cool . test that the mirror jelly will set by pouring a dessertspoon onto a saucer and refrigerating. If the jelly sets, proceed to next step.
If not setting add a further teaspoon of dissolved gelatine, according to packet instructions.
3. Carefully pour the mirror jelly over the set, cold cheesecake. Place carefully on a flat surface in the refrigerator and allow to sett for at least 1-2 hours before serving.
4. When ready to serve, carefully run a thin bladed knife inside the rim of the springform and carefully release the cake tin from the cake.